Ross and Cromarty
- ROSS and CROMARTY, two counties in the north of Scotland, of which the several districts, mutually interjacent, are under the jurisdiction of the sheriff of Ross; bounded on the north by Sutherlandshire, on the east by the German Sea, on the south by Invernessshire, and on the west by the Atlantic Ocean. They lie between 57° 7' 40" and 58° 5' (N. Lat.) and 3° 45' 30" and 5° 46' 20" (W. Long.); extending for about sixtyseven miles in length and fifty-eight miles in breadth, and comprising an area of 3799 square miles, or 2,431,360 acres, of which 223,560 are in the county of Cromarty; containing 16,694 houses, whereof 16,286 are inhabited; and having a population of 78,685, of whom 36,779 are males, and 41,906 females. The territory within these boundaries seems to have nominally formed part of the earldom of Orkney, and to have belonged at different periods to different proprietors; but from the peculiar situation of Ross, it appears to have retained its independence, and to have been an earldom of itself, to which were attached some of the Western Isles; and in several ancient charters William, son of Hugh, Earl of Ross, who was killed at the battle of Hallidon-Hill, is not only styled Earl of Ross, but also Lord of Skye. John, "Earl of Ross and Lord of the Isles," apparently exercised a kind of regal authority, and, as an independent prince, entered into treaties with Edward of England; but it was not till about the year 1630 that Ross was made a sheriffdom, including the district of Cromarty, which formerly gave the title of earl to a branch of the Mackenzies, of Seaforth. Prior to the Reformation, the counties were in the diocese of Ross; they are at present mostly in the synod of Ross, and comprise several presbyteries, and thirty-one parishes. For civil purposes they are under the superintendence of three sheriffs-substitute, of whom one holds his courts at Cromarty and Tain, and another at Dingwall and Fortrose, and the third at Stornoway, in the island of Lewis. They contain the royal burghs of Dingwall, Tain, and Fortrose; the market-town of Cromarty, which is a burgh of barony; and numerous smaller towns and villages. Under the act of the 2nd of William IV. they return one member to the imperial parliament, the election taking place at Dingwall.The general surface of Ross and Cromarty, which include the districts of Ardross, Easter Ross, Ardmeanach or the Black Isle, Kintail, Strathcarron, and the island of Lewis, is wild and mountainous, diversified with numerous glens and some pleasant and fertile valleys, and enlivened with several rivers and lakes. The western coast is indented by many lochs and bays of beautifully picturesque appearance, of which some form commodious havens. Ardmeanach, or the Black Isle, so called from its bleak moorland character, is nearly surrounded by the Friths of Cromarty and Moray. The district of Lewis, separated from the main land by the Great Minch, is, from deep indentations of the sea on both sides, apparently an island of itself, but in fact is joined to Harris, forming together the largest of the Western Islands: though less mountainous than Ardmeanach, it is equally dreary and barren. The highest of the mountains, which usually occur in groups, is Ben-Wyvis, elevated 3720 feet above the level of the sea. The principal rivers are, the Ewe, the Carron, and the Broom, on the western, and the Conan, the East Carron, and the Alness, on the eastern coast; the Conan falls into the Cromarty Frith, the Carron into the Frith of Dornoch, and the others into the sea. They all abound with salmon. The salt-water lochs are, Enard, Broom, Greinord, Ewe, Gairloch, Carron, Torridon, and Loch Alsh; there are also several freshwater lakes, but the only one of any extent is Loch Maree, on the west. There are some small remains of the ancient forests, which were very extensive, consisting chiefly of birch and oak; the plantations are exceedingly numerous, and rapidly increasing.A very small proportion of the land is in cultivation. The soil on the eastern coast and on the low lands is rich and fertile; in some parts a loamy clay, and in others light and sandy. The system of agriculture has been greatly improved, and excellent crops of wheat are now raised, of which more than 10,000 quarters are annually exported; there are some good tracts of meadow-land, and the mountainous parts afford pasturage for sheep and cattle. The chief minerals are, copper, which has been wrought, and ironstone, which at some distant period was extensively raised: there are still some remains of furnaces for smelting the ore, near Poolewe. There are indications of coal; and limestone is found in the eastern and in greater abundance in the western districts. Several springs are strongly impregnated with sulphuretted hydrogen gas; and of the numerous chalybeate springs, the principal, at Strathpeffer, was formerly in great repute. The seats are, Brahan Castle, Tulloch Castle, Mountgerald, Fowlis Castle, Balconey, Novar House, Invergordon Castle, Balnagown Castle, Tarbat House, Shandwick House, Bayfield House, Rosehaugh, Red Castle, Cromarty House, and various others. The principal manufactures are those of biscuit and cotton bagging, which are carried on to a very great extent; the spinning of flax was introduced by the trustees for the fisheries, but was not successful. The herring-fishery is extensively pursued, and a considerable number of fish are taken in the lochs: black-cattle, sheep, and great quantities of wool are shipped from the several ports. Facility of communication is maintained by good roads, which have been much improved by the commissioners appointed under act of parliament. The total annual value of real property assessed to the income-tax in Ross-shire is £136,294, whereof £120,824 are returned for lands, £6440 for houses, £3378 for fisheries, £205 for canal property, £20 for quarries, and the remainder for other species of property not comprised in the foregoing items. The value of Cromarty is £6921, of which £5857 are for lands, £631 for houses, and £345 for fisheries.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ross and Cromarty — Ross and Cromarty: committee area (1996 date) Ross and Cromarty: lieutenancy area (1996 date) Ross and Cromarty: district council (1975 1996) Ross and Cromarty: county (1889 1975) Ross and Cromarty (Ros agus Cromba in Gaelic) is a variously… … Wikipedia
Ross and Cromarty — [rôs΄ and kräm′ər tē] former county & former district of N Scotland … English World dictionary
Ross and Cromarty — [ rɔs ənd krɔmətɪ], ehemalige County in Nordschottland, seit 1996 Teil des Verwaltungs Distrikt Highland … Universal-Lexikon
Ross and Cromarty — /krom euhr tee, krum / a historic county in NW Scotland. * * * ▪ former county, Scotland, United Kingdom historic region, northern Scotland, spanning the width of the country from the North Sea on the east to the Atlantic Ocean on the west … Universalium
Ross and Cromarty — Lage von Ross and Cromarty in Schottland Ross and Cromarty war von 1890 bis 1975 eine Verwaltungsgrafschaft im Norden von Schottland. Verwaltungssitz war die Stadt Dingwall. Ross and Cromarty umfasste eine Fläche von 7.971 km². Geschichte Die… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ross and Cromarty — 57°40′N 5°00′W / 57.667, 5 … Wikipédia en Français
Ross and Cromarty — Ross′ and Crom′ar•ty [[t]ˈkrɒm ər ti, ˈkrʌm [/t]] n. geg a historic county in NW Scotland … From formal English to slang
Ross and Cromarty — /ˈkrɒməti/ (say kromuhtee) noun a former county in north western Scotland; now divided between Highland and Western Isles … Australian English dictionary
Ross and Cromarty — geographical name former county N Scotland capital Dingwall … New Collegiate Dictionary
Ross and Cromarty — /krom euhr tee, krum / a historic county in NW Scotland … Useful english dictionary